THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
Survey conducted by The International Guild of Professional Butlers
We would like to thank the individuals and agencies who participated in the first annual Estate and Household Employees Compensation Survey.
We are gratified to have realized this high level of interest and participation. Participants included property caretakers, major domos, estate managers, household managers, personal assistants, and butlers.
The summary tables detail much of the compensation data. Data include salary, benefits, responsibilities, and regional data correlation. Data were analyzed from the individuals and agencies who participated in the survey. In order to accomplish the completion of the survey, we gathered data from The Caretaker Gazette subscribers as well as from the readers of The International Guild of Professional Butlers' newsletter.
- 98% of respondents hold full-time positions and 2% are part-time staff.
- 81% of respondents are responsible for multiple properties (e.g., vacation homes).
- 68% of respondents are employed in the U.S. while 32% are employed in Canada, the Caribbean, Australia, and Europe.
- 51% of respondents are male while 49% are female.
- 73% of respondents work with other domestic staff (e.g., maids, chefs, gardeners, nannies) while 27% are the sole household employee.
- 49% of respondents work as a couple, with a spouse or significant other.
- The mean educational level is that of some college courses completed.
- The mean number of years of experience is between 16 and 23 years.
The respondents described their settings as:
- 98% private homes and estates
- 1% yacht
- 1% resort property
Salary Data (per annum, in U.S. dollars)
|$21,000 - $30,000||2%|
|$31,000 - $40,000||11%|
|$41,000 - $50,000||13%|
|$51,000 - $60, 000||16%|
|$61,000 - $70,000||24%|
|$71,000 - $80,000||14%|
|$81,000 - $90,000||9%|
|$91,000 - $100,000||7%|
Average Hours per Week Worked
|Under 40 hours per week||4%|
|41 - 50 hours per week||28%|
|51 - 60 hours per week||33%|
|61 - 70 hours per week||16%|
|71 - 80 hours per week||13%|
|81 - 90 hours per week||4%|
|91 - 100 hours per week||1%|
|Over 100 hours per week||1%|